Born in Somalia, Togane was educated by Mennonite missionaries in his home country, and subsequently moved to the United States. Togane graduated from Eastern Mennonite College in 1969, where he studied literature and was among the first Muslims to enroll. After a rather challenging time teaching in Philadelphia, he moved to Canada in 1973 and acquired Canadian citizenship in 1978.
His poems deal with various sensitive political and social issues centered on Somalis.
- The bottle and the bushman : poems of the prodigal son, Ste-Anne de Bellevue, Québec : The Muses' Co., 1986. ISBN 0-919754-07-4
- Bridges: Literature Across Cultures (1994)
- Quebec Suite: Poems for and about Quebec (1995)
- Eternal Conversations (2003)
- Fifty years, fifty stories (2003)